What are 85% Felonies in Oklahoma?
85% felonies are crimes that require you to serve at least 85% of your imprisonment sentence before you’re eligible for parole consideration. These are all considered violent or sexual felonies. By contrast, if someone commits a crime not under this category they may only have top serve 25% to 33% of their sentence before parole. So that’s the big distinguishing factor between them.
A list of the violent felonies that will land you here:
- First and Second-Degree Murder
- Manslaughter in the First Degree
- Poisoning with Intent to Kill
- Shooting with Intent to Kill
- Using a Motor Vehicle to Facilitate the Operation of a Firearm (AKA a drive-by shooting)
- Assault with a Dangerous Weapon,
- Robbery With a Deadly Weapon
- Arson in the First Degree
- Burglary in the First Degree
- Elder Abuse
A number of sexually based crimes also make the list.
- Rape in the First Degree
- Assaulting a Child
- Child Porn
- Lewd Molestation
- Human Trafficking
- Forcible Sodomy
- Child Prostitution
Commission of any of these crimes means you will have to serve 85% of your imprisonment sentence before you’re eligible for parole consideration – not even necessarily parole itself. This is especially true for sexual crimes and/or those involving young children.
Free Consultation with an OKC Criminal Defense Attorney
If you want to speak to a defense attorney in Oklahoma City about a matter relating to these or any criminal law-related things, call the Wirth Law Office – Oklahoma City at (405) 888-5400. You can also fill out the contact form at the top of the page. Either way, an OKC defense attorney will be in touch with you shortly.